I’ve been an avid reader since the age of four and learned to love crossword puzzles as a teenager. I have been providing language services since 2004 and offer:
- Text composition for all purposes
- Translation (German<>English)
- Editing / proofreading
- Language coaching
- Voiceovers, dramatic and otherwise
Oh, my experience? Well . . .
- As translator and proofreader for the Institute of Jazz Studies of the University of Music and Performing Arts in Graz, Austria since 2007, I’ve translated and/or edited countless academic papers
- I’ve composed, translated and edited liner notes, press releases and other materials for more albums, festivals, organizations and labels than I can remember
- I’ve worked on projects both mundane (advertising copy) andesoteric (opera libretto)
- I have worked as a voiceover artist and currently serve as the English voice of the Spiegel Online series “Trump vs. Reality”
- I have served as language coach for the pianist Pierre Laurent-Aimard, as well as for actors, singers, and lyricists
Translation, in particular, is a tricky business: just because it’s correct doesn’t mean it’s right. In other words, the most exact translation is rarely the one that best communicates the sense and feeling of a text. And that, in the end, is the point: to elegantly and faithfully communicate meaning.
For samples, references and rates please contact me at email@example.com
For your enjoyment: my own translation of “Gute Nacht” from Schubert’s “Winterreise”, text by Wilhelm Müller. (n.b.: the emphasis here is on rhyme and meter rather than literal meaning – it’s a song, after all).